Storm Lake, IA – The Mulligan Concept™ Lower Quadrant Course – Private Course
8:00am – 4:30pm
7:30am – 3:30pm
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Lower Quadrant
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the lumbar spine and sacroiliac joint as well as for the lower extremity. It will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement ™ approach for the lower quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
- PTs and PTAs will receive 13 CEU’s for those holding license in the state of Iowa. For those residing outside of the state of Iowa, please contact your state governing board to determine reciprocity for your state. All forms required to submit individually for CEU’s can be found on this website under Courses/CEU’s.
- ATs will receive 13 CEUs from the NATA Board of Certification CEU Provider P3566
- Certificate of attendance for 13 hours of instruction is always given
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key components of Mobilization With Movement ™ for the treatment of lower quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 ankle MWM techniques for ankle ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 knee MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 3 hip MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- List 2 indications for ankle and knee taping procedures to reinforce MWM techniques.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the lower extremity, SI jt and lumbar spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual techniques for the alleviation straight leg raise pain.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques for the alleviation of SI jt pain.
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of lumbar ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support ankle sprain MWM and taping.
- Cite at least 1 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to dorsiflexion loss of the ankle.
- integrate a combined proximal fibula AP MWM WITH a distal fibula AP MWM technique while the patient performs a squatting activity pain-free.
- 8:00-9:00 Sign in and Registration. Pre-test. Introduction, theory, guidelines for practical application of Mobilization With Movement (MWM’s): CROCKS and PILL
- 9:00-10:00 Toes/Feet demo & lab: 1st MCP, metatarsals, tarsals, plantar fasciitis & taping techniques
- 10:00-10:15 Morning Break
- 10:15-10:30 Ankle Lecture: literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of ankle sprain and dorsiflexion pain and/or mobility loss
- 10:30-12:00 Ankle demonstration & lab practice: talocrural and proximal/distal tibia/fibular joint & taping
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:30 Knee demonstration & lab: Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment. MWM’s & taping
- 2:30-2:45 Afternoon Break
- 2:45-4:30 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of Hip. Demonstration and lab practice: Mobilization with Movement and self management strategies
- 7:30-8:30 Review of Day 1 topics and treatments. CMP exam requirements. Hip demonstration and lab practice continued: weight bearing techniques.
- 8:30-9:30 Lumbar demo & lab practice: Sustained Natural Apophyseal Glides (SNAG’s) in sitting, standing, quadruped, prone.
- 9:30-9:45 Morning Break
- 9:45-12:00 Lumbar demo & lab practice continued. Self SNAG’s, SLR techniques, HEP
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-3:00 Lumbopelvic demo & lab practice: innominate & sacral techniques, weight bearing / non weight bearing, taping & HEP.
- 3:00-3:30 Practical review session. Post course test
Wear loose, comfortable lab clothes. Bring mobilization belts, mobilization pads, if available.
To facilitate your learning and preparation for the course, it is recommended that you purchase a mobilization belt, contact pad, and Brian Mulligan’s 7th edition textbook. Other tools to facilitate learning include video tutorials of the techniques presented in the courses. Click the product links below for information and purchase.
Individual Participants: All cancellations must be submitted with written notice and received 14 days prior to the course date. Refunds, minus an administrative fee of $50.00, are provided if cancellation is received in this timeframe. No refunds will be issued if notice is received less than 14 days before the course.
Read our complete cancellation policies.